This website is best viewed on a PC.
DOG TREATS AND DANGERS
In 2007, the FDA become aware of an increasing number of ailments in pets associated from consuming Chinese produced jerky treats. Most of the complaints involved chicken jerky (treats, tenders and strips), but others include duck, sweet potato and treats where chicken or duck jerky is wrapped around dried fruits, sweet potatoes or yams. If your pet exhibits signs of distress after eating Chinese products, contact your veterinarian. It is advised that you save the treats and packaging for testing by the FDA to confirm or rule out if the product caused any disorder.
The FDA released a warning to dog owners informing them to avoid nonflavored and flavor basted dog bones. This was advised due to the fact of their potential harmful effects. Dog owners have reported that these bones caused gastrointestinal obstructions, blocked airways, internal bleeding, vomiting and diarrhea.
*Beware of Xylitol- Xylitol is reported to be 100 times more toxic to dogs than chocolate and causes an increase in insulin circulating through the dog's body. This may cause your dog's blood sugar to drop and lead to liver failure. Initial symptoms include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Eventually, the dog may have seizures and liver failure can occur within just a few days.
*Chocolate- Large amounts of chocolate and cocoa products can kill your dog. The toxic component found in chocolate is called Theobromine, which dog’s process much slower than humans and this causes a buildup of toxic levels in their system. Even just a small amount of chocolate, especially dark chocolate, can cause symptoms such as staggering, labored breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, fever, heart rate increase, abdominal pain, arrhythmia, seizures, coma and death. Chocolate also contains very toxic substances called methylxanthines, which are stimulants that stop a dog’s metabolic process. If your dog does ingest chocolate, contact a veterinarian and Pet Poison Helpline ASAP! The signs of sickness may not be visible for several hours even with death following within 24 hours!
*Cinnamon- While cinnamon is not actually toxic to dogs, it’s probably best to avoid it. Cinnamon and its oils can irritate the inside of dogs’ mouths, making them uncomfortable and sick. It can lower a dog’s blood sugar too much and can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, increased, or decreased heart rate and even liver disease. If they inhale it in powder form, cinnamon can cause difficulty breathing, coughing and choking.
*Eggs- Raw egg whites can give dogs biotin deficiency, so be sure to consult the advice of a licensed veterinarian before giving them or any food/treats to your pet you may be unsure about, for their health and safety.
*Fruits and Vegetables…Fruits- grapes, raisins, cranberries, persimmons, peaches and plums are especially dangerous treats for your dog. The problem with these fruits is the seeds and pits. Seeds from persimmons can cause inflammation of the small intestine and cause intestinal obstruction. Also, obstruction or choking is a possibility if a dog eats the pit from a peach or plum. More importantly, peach and plum pits contain cyanide which is poisonous to both humans and dogs. The difference is that humans know not to eat them. Dogs, unfortunately, do not. Other toxic human foods to dogs are onions, yeast dough, artificial sweeteners, avocados, alcohol and coffee.
*Macadamia Nuts- This is one of the most poisonous foods for dogs. They can cause vomiting, increased body temperature, inability to walk and lethargy. Even worse, they can affect the dogs' nervous system.
*Garlic- Like onions, chives, leeks and garlic, is part is five times more toxic to dogs than the rest of the Allium plants. Garlic can create anemia in dogs, causing side effects such as pale gums, elevated heart rate, weakness and collapse. Poisoning from garlic and onions may have delayed symptoms, so if you think your dog may have eaten some, contact your veterinarian.
*Ice Cream- Dogs do not digest dairy very well, and some dogs have a slight intolerance to lactose, a sugar found in milk products.
*Table Scraps- Feeding table scraps can cause many health issues for your pet. Feeding dogs scraps of food from the dinner table damages the health of pets as canine digestive systems cannot process food in the same way as humans. Dogs’ digestive systems cannot process food in the same way as humans, meaning certain foods normally classed as healthy could be toxic for a dog. Oily and fatty foods can lead to severe health problems such as diarrhea, vomiting and pancreatitis. Even worse, there are several people foods that are highly toxic to animals. Onions or any food prepared with them, for instance, can be unsafe for dogs and should never be given. Fat trimmings, cooked or uncooked can be an obvious cause of obesity in dogs. Fat trimmed from meat can cause pancreatitis. This can be painful and cause loss of appetite, lethargy, and dehydration. Feeding cooked bones to your dog such as leftover chicken or pork chop bones etc. is extremely risky as cooked bones can become a choking hazard and could splinter causing punctures and lacerations internally. Some dogs that are constantly fed with table scraps have the tendency to become dependent on them. Dogs that eat table scraps could start refusing to eat their regular dog food. Aside from that, feeding your pets the scraps can also cause undesirable behaviors such as the sneaking of food off of your plate while your back is turned. Granted, most dogs if given the chance will do this anyway unless they have been properly trained. However, if they already have a taste for it, this may encourage the behavior along with begging, which both can become very annoying.
Click on the highlighted word, "Dogs Health" and on the PET MD logo below, for more in-depth information on this topic.
How Jack Got His Name
LIFE WITH AN ALAPAHA
Merle And Brindle
Rapid Growth Rate In Puppies Myths Vs Facts
Temperament VS Personality
Unusual Southern Names
What Is Drive?
What Size Crate & Are Raised Feeders Healthy Or Harmful?
What To Feed Your New Puppy?